Wednesday, November 14, 2012

MORE REASONS TO REVIEW YOUR COVERAGE

My neighbor sold a truck today to pay off his deceased wife’s medical bills. He said he just got a bill from the ambulance company and his portion was $800.00. I asked him if he had his Explanation of Benefits from the insurance company and if it agreed with the bill. He replied he didn’t know where it was, but he was sure he owed this. He went over the bill with me over the phone. From the best I could tell, he read off the billed charges, and the amounts paid by his insurance company. The exact balance was what he thought he owed. He didn’t indicate to me if there were any adjustments on the bill. Hmmm. I of course asked him what his deductible and out-of-pocket was. His reply was, “Don’t really know – couldn’t really tell ya”. Wow, so he’s just going to pay his bill! He didn’t really want any “help” because the ambulance gave them good service. REALLY!!!!  I told him if he wants me to go over his bills and make sure they’re correct I would. I could do this even after he paid them, just in case he’s due a refund. I also mentioned that lots of places will set up monthly payment plans with you, and some will even discount the bill if you agree to pay a lump sum right away. Again, he didn’t really care. This seems pretty scary to me, especially since he wife was in the hospital for 3 ½ weeks and had two more trips via the ambulance that he hasn’t received bills for yet. Enough said……

No comments:

Post a Comment